Thursday, October 28, 2010

The End of the Dream

Well folks, it's been fun thinking about doing an Ironman. Unfortunately, reality has reared its ugly head, and it is not financially feasible. I knew it was going to be tight, but I thought that if my only races next year were the Rev3 half and Germany, that I could swing it. And since I (hopefully) will be getting a new job in the next few months (because my current one ends in April), it seemed like the perfect time to take the plunge, as I could negotiate those days off into a contract.

However, I am not making ends meet. A lot of it is my own doing, either by trying to keep up with friends, all of whom make significantly more money than I do, or by feeling like I don't have any friends, and buying things to make myself feel better. Either way, the reality is a whopping credit card bill. The reality is that I've been existing in the red since I moved to Boston. The reality is that triathlon is an expensive sport; I wasn't trying to buy a P3 (or whatever the latest model is), I just wanted to participate on my 10 year old used bike and have a good time with friends. But the reality is, while I love triathlon, I can't afford it. I think I might have to give up my gym membership, and/or sell my bikes. It feels like when I went to college, and sold my cello, and closed the 'musician' chapter of my life.

So, that's that. Thanks for following along, I appreciate the encouragement and the belief that I could get it done. I am so disappointed I can't fully express how upset I am right now. It's just ironic that after all the debate about being fast enough, or thin enough, or good enough, and should I quit triathlon, I finally committed to doing Germany, and doing my best, just to have the rug pulled out from under me. I could have saved myself a lot of agony and tears!

Next blog: my road to financial solvency. LOL

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry that things are rough for you right now. ::hugs:: I wish I could send you some comfort.

    ReplyDelete